Sunday, October 03, 2004

my ocular privilege

while searching for a better brown
was thinking how it takes a coalescing mix of three specific
colours for the painter painting brown to know that none fix
brown alone and that a brown event cannot exist unless it
lives within the heterogeneity of its serendipitous mix of
becoming as a function of assemblage that constructs a
social tissue to connect it to a collective sense of
timeandplace that strokes the canvas of experience with
brown-ness not described by temporalities of past or future
tenses, not having-browned and never brown-about-to-be
but instead by intensities that perpetuate its browness-ness
into brownbeyondalltime and only then can it exude itself
beyond ideational incorporations and brown is only brown
when the skinofculture names it on the surface of a language
expressing brownasjustaword and therefore this is not a poem
per se but just a little ritournello, a liquid lovers' tune
one hums while half asleep to mark motifs and counterpoints
that seek a way back home by sailing signaturesofsounds that
carry forces not yet found in thought and notatall like
tapping brown into an operetta on my piano-out-of-tune

pacing a terrain means trailing signatures across a place
to brush the mark remaking melodiesofmemory into rhythms,
grown motifs that counterpoint particular interiorities
collaged across the space of circumstance, a glance that
signifies a styled state of keys connecting~reconnecting
moments prayed by fingers walking down the whispered
blackandwhite, candlelight hardpressed against the cheektocheek
confections of an umber-ochred grace, the lucid lace of
rewrites in refrain

9 Comments:

Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

the original ending to this reminded me of the ending to 'How', from the 15SEPT entry on the other site ... it's curious how you incorporate(d) these endings into the ideas ... or that the ideas lead to the endings.

6:22 p.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

...

tacking between two worlds I suppose

I may not completely understand why you say its curious. But I will say this...you read my words while I am writing them like no one ever has, and at first, it was a little unnerving to know that someone was 'watching' me write, noticing my ideosyncratic process ...but now, I find it kind of comforting that you see my process, read my thoughts from a kind of inside space, if that makes sense.

Its hard to know how far to take a piece and sometimes the original form works best but often gets lost in the play of it. Do you find this also?





the original ending to this reminded me of the ending to 'How', from the 15SEPT entry on the other site ... it's curious how you incorporate(d) these endings into the ideas ... or that the ideas lead to the endings.

7:00 p.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

by curious I mean interesting, in that I can never tell where it's leading or how it'll end ... and the images of the children 'captured' in moments in the end are particularly compelling ... which is why I find it provocative; it's curious - fascinating - to see how one goes from point A to point B ... in a smooth, seamless fashion, making connections that I'd never make ... because my mind doesn't function like that, unfortunately.

lost in the play: perhaps ... but, my revisions rest on specific words and turns of phrases, whereas specific words for you may change meaning and are far more significant in the flow and rhythm and subtle meaning of the work ... yours is an evolution and mine a recreation; I can only imagine that it might be tough to decide what most appeals to the eye and ear.

8:05 p.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

I was going to remove my last comment, thinking it might wierd you out a bit, but am glad to see it hasn't.

I took the reference to children out of this particular text because it seemed superfluous, but its hard to be objective about one's own ideas...


Words have a musicality to them, a rhythm and a sonorous quality that trips off the tongue, so I lay them down as if they will be read out loud with particular pauses. Not sure if that comes across, but like you say, it is the play of each into the next within a string of sounds that seems to be an endless process, how any text can take an infinite series of directions, how words take on a chain of many meanings, like that space between the roll and throw.

You write to mark moments, and I suspect, also to be read (?)and the connections ou make are of a differnt kind...whereas I write into the void (almost against the content) because the act of doing so creates a zone, a jouissance...in and of itself

does that make sense?

11:05 p.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

previous comment: I'm glad that you didn't remove it; you might be surprised at some of the things that have come to mind before then; first thoughts, unedited - like impressions - are often the most interesting.

the pleasure for you is in doing, in the process, in revelling in the moment of creating.

both make sense ...

1:39 p.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

[you might be surprised at some of the things that have come to mind before then] ...now I am curious

but yes, I do agree that often first thoughts are the most interesting, perhaps because they seem least contrived

2:19 a.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

I'm afraid that were I to indulge your curiosity on this one, things really would get weird - so we'll leave it at that.

this is really nice:

[a liquid lovers' tune one hums while half asleep to mark motifs and counterpoints that seek a way back home ... notatall like tapping brown into an operetta on my piano-out-of-tune]

1:52 p.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:04 p.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

deleted comment = repeat of above; tech problem

3:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home