Friday, November 05, 2004

press

of a lip to a glass with light in its stem,
thick drip down the throat of De Chirico's arche
perched on the rim while rendering them,
the roll of a wheel, pastels on the floor
and godinthegaze of a four year old friend,
an unfinished swim through the eyes of a face
in constellate flight, of emptying self
to the-near-and-the-far-and-the-loud-and-the-soft
of a sfumatoed scent, of chalk on the skin,
how thought thinks its own past,
of a thousand plateaus
and
a
lingering
taste
on
the
tip
of
the
tongue

"I have had to come so far away from it in order to
understand it all."

"Language. What is the writer's struggle except a
struggle to use a medium as precisely as posible,
but knowing fully its basic imprecision? A hopeless
task, but none the less rewarding for being hopeless.
Because the task itself, the act of wrestling with an
insoluable problem, grows the writer up."
(Lawrence Durrell, The Alexandria Quartet)

8 Comments:

Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

[press
of a lip to a glass with light in its stem,
thick drip down the throat of De Chirico's arche]

I like this image! alot.

and the sartre quote makes me laugh, for some reason; it's so typically cynical that it almost becomes comical - though an interesting truth, with more merit than I'd be willing to admit.

2:48 a.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

amused at myself as well, as I had to look up 'sfumato' and De Chirico ...

2:50 a.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

what's funny is that I wasn't thinking of it as cynical at all ... [and the sartre quote makes me laugh, for some reason; it's so typically cynical that it almost becomes comical - though an interesting truth, with more merit than I'd be willing to admit.]

I like your honesty...I was specifically thinking of
De Chirico's The Mystery and Melancholy of a Street (1913) which you have no doubt seen ... [amused at myself as well, as I had to look up 'sfumato' and De Chirico ...]...this from the man who speaks, at the very least, three languages...

2:59 a.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

[what's funny is that I wasn't thinking of it as cynical at all ...]

I should probably note that something you mentioned earlier made me think of Sartre's Autodidact in 'nausea', a description and character who are particularly unflattering, and cynically so, so I may have been skewed toward cynicism already as I read this; guilt by association.

[this from the man who speaks, at the very least, three languages...]

I wasn't kidding when I said I was flawed ...

3:12 a.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

I must be dyslexic; having read the Sarte quote again this morning, I realise that it says 'the melody stays the same'; in place of melody, I'd read 'melancholy', which changes the meaning completely ...

clearly a slip in which my thoughts had already been vastly skewed in a given direction.

12:40 p.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

this made me laugh

...[I wasn't kidding when I said I was flawed ...]

1:42 p.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

[an unfinished swim through the eyes of a face
in constellate flight]

this I like, as well

and I suppose that as the text has changed, so too has the complementing quote?

3:38 p.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

thanks...

and of the quote...it didn't seem to fit initially, wasn't chosen thoughtfully but added to your comment, ultimately led to its Satrean erasure...another time, another quote


[and I suppose that as the text has changed, so too has the complementing quote?]

10:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home