Sunday, December 19, 2004

[......]

Writing this while tapping on these keys of
no return, their infinite regress becoming a
certainty I seek. Questing after words that
most compel the reader's attention while
always sure that what I write is for the void.
Into his and into yours. While this is Borges'
question, it is also spilling into mine. Knowing
that his proposition has already spent its
muscular sensations, their past tactility lightly
layered onto this day's outside sway of silhouetted
branches filling up my window frame. Scratching
all that constitutes my current 'I' onto glass.
His "nothingness of personality" also mine.
His no-whole-self-in-travel soaks its seamless
situation mirrored overtop of mine. How
mirrors-of-the-past project upon the present
walk-of-any-distance like a midnight sky,
while also knowing one can't count the stars
on any given night, even if to braid them into
crowns. Knowing this, that memory is a noun.
Its consciousness recurring imprecisely, as if to
say (with allatonceness): 'I know, I do not know'.
How any present moment always totters on the brink
of its goodbye. And suddenly discerning how no
given one can justify my own. That each subsequent
unfolding-into-more is irrevocably provisional.
This, too, is Borges' notion. That we are nothing
if not the circumstantial flow of now. Like
Schopenhauer asking what he was before his birth
and Borges transcribing his answer into this;
"I was always I; that is, all who during that time
said I, were in fact I." Understanding how the
twilight of this statement lies lurking in the
shadowy origins of language.

There is no whole self. Any of life's
present situations is seamless and sufficient.
Are you, as you ponder these disquietudes, anything
more than an indifference gliding over the argument
I make, or an appraisal of the opinions I expound?"
(Jorges Louis Borges, 1922)


His claim that I am not my visual nor my auditory
reality because if so, darkness and silence would
erase me. Nor am I any desire for consciousness
because without its projection, without the
expression of its ever-shifting shades, I could
not exist. No, I am nothing but this now, is what
he claims.

Which makes me ponder compulsions, wondering at the
unending verbiage of poets past. Their unfaltering
desire to become a palette of colours mixed into
sonic rhythms that transcribe the daily blackandwhite.
Languidly lettered locutions siphoned into print and
all for what? Just to note that there are 100,000
english words contained within its dictionaries,
while there are only 31,000 spanish words and 29,000
french ones? So who can say which poets conjure more
ideas or express them with greater grace? As Borges
concludes, "We touch a sphere, see a small heap of
dawn-coloured light, our mouths enjoy a tingling
sensation, and we lie to ourselves that those three
disparate things are only one thing called an orange."

To deluge and to converge lies within his answer. Since
his question traces poetry's persuasion, it seeps within
that stretch of words that touch the future with his
hope.

"A deliberately poetic vocabulary, a record of
ideas incompatible with common speech, would be a
different matter, however. The world of appearances
is complicated, and language has only verbalized a
miniscule part of its potential, indefatigable
combinations. Why not create a word, only one, for
the converging perception of the cow bells announcing
day's end and the sunset in the distance? Why not
invent another for the dilapidated and threatening
face of the streets at dawn? And another for the
well-meaning though pitifully ineffectual, first
streetlamp to go on at dusk while it is still light
out? And another for our lack of trust in ourselves
after we have done wrong?" (JLB, 1926)


There is no rush of time in all of this.
No near or far. But only contraposto.
The counterbalance of poetic diagonals.
A path towards the upanddown of love and loss.
The graphite line of joy and devastation
captured by its endless reading-through.


22 Comments:

Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

[While this is Borges'
question, it is also spilling into mine]

an interesting sensation and state, is it not?

[How any present moment always totters on the brink of its goodbye]

this is somewhat sad, and surprised me when I read it the first time

'And another for the well-meaning though pitifully ineffectual, first streetlamp to go on at dusk while it is still light out? (jl borges)'

that's a great quote ...

[Questing after words that most compel the reader's attention while always sure that what I write is for the void. Into his and into yours.]

this is compelling.

8:57 p.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

[an interesting sensation and state, is it not?]...yes, that blending of consciousness


[this is somewhat sad, and surprised me when I read it the first time]...as it did me, when I first saw what I had written, but having considered it, find it to be true and knowing this gives greater reason to appreciate the (ever-fleeting) moment of things for what it is and while it lasts

[this is compelling]...I am glad you see it as such

9:10 p.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

[the (ever-fleeting) moment of things for what it is and while it lasts]

do you see [goodbye's] as being imminent, and perhaps conclusive, in this sense?

9:25 p.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

I only know what I have experienced

9:32 p.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

[I only know what I have experienced]
and at the risk of assuming what that experience is, it would be safer to ask ...

[There is no rush of time in all of this.
No near or far]

does this imply that though there is an awareness of 'goodbye', it is not imminent?

12:50 a.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

one must always try to trust in that, in the 'as if' of it

1:16 a.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

a silly question perhaps, but - are you enjoying Borges? his thoughts? his writing? your thoughts inspired by his musings? a recognition in his voice? if only in the difference?

1:31 a.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

...not at all a silly question

...yes, he has texture and draws one in...even his titles are compelling..."A History of Eternity, A HIstory of the Echoes of a Name, The Nothingness of Personality"

It contains (his) film reviews and criticism, lectures (On Immortality), prologues (including one in Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles), and best, his early writings...nothing is too long to read

"I always imagine them at nightfall, in the dusk of a slum or a vacant lot, in that long, quiet moment when things are gradually left alone, with their backs to the sunset, and when colours are like memories or premonitions of other colours. We must not be too prodigal withour angels, they are the last divinities we harbor, and they might fly away." (1926)

2:01 a.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

indeed, his earlier years are interesting, as are his later.

there is a certain guarded pleasure in knowing that another can appreciate and enjoy one's preferred author or poet, as jealously as one may guard such things as a hidden place as a child, 'a secret garden' of sorts, lost in the mind, but important for whatever thing it is that one attaches to it ...

2:17 a.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

[a certain guarded pleasure]...then I won't intrude too much on that pleasure since I know its value

[but important for whatever thing it is that one attaches to it ... ]...and did you have a literal [hidden place as a child]?

2:27 a.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

[then I won't intrude too much on that pleasure since I know its value]

to the contrary ... like a child playing hide 'n seek, there is a certain pleasure in being 'found', as well ...

[and did you have a literal [hidden place as a child]?]

I didn't, but I did have a favorite room, removed from others, that I used to love to spend in, because it seems like a different world, and I felt as though I could look down on the world around me, close the door and ... escape to elsewhere.

and you?

2:31 a.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

[look down on the world around me, close the door and ... escape to elsewhere.]

I wonder what your escapes were like...

when I was really little, we had a very large bush on our front lawn, whose branches hung down like an umbrella, and I loved to go 'inside' because it felt like a place that no one else knew about...later, it was my bedroom with my journal because writing became that secret place...

but if I am truly honest, the best secret place was inside my father's voice when I was really little, while atop his lap where I would beg him to read from one specific book about insects, from the bumble bee section in particular (which he strangely understood even if no one else did)...o, the strange fascinations of a child...

2:57 a.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

[o, the strange fascinations of a child...] indeed ... my parents never read to us, save the occasional 'Where The Wild Things Are' or 'Where The Sidewalk Ends', but I do recall the few times that they did ...

mine hideaway was a curious room, somehow very different from the others ... and I'm not even sure why that is - hardwood floors? fireplace? view? that it was never used? its warmth, even when it was freezing? not too sure ...

3:13 a.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

[not too sure ...]...the question marks imply a vague recollection, I wonder why...

[to the contrary ... like a child playing hide 'n seek, there is a certain pleasure in being 'found', as well ...]..I like this comment and it is true, the fear of being caught and the pleasure of being found...

3:22 a.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

[imply a vague recollection, I wonder why...]

not so much a vague recollection as it is a lack of reflection as to why it was different from other places, why I attached something of importance to it, perhaps due only to its estetics or location .. I've never really considered this.

[...it is true, the fear of being caught and the pleasure of being found...]

even as adults ...

3:31 a.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

perhaps especially [as adults]

3:37 a.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

[why I attached something of importance to it,]...what did you typically do there?...although this, [and I felt as though I could look down on the world around me, close the door and ... escape to elsewhere.] implies a certain perspective, the long view, your neutral ground?

3:45 a.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

[what did you typically do there?...] typically, I'd read, or look out the window, lay down ...

[implies a certain perspective, the long view, your neutral ground?]

moreso a literal sense of perspective, as it gave onto several yards and seemed rather high and 'elsewhere-ish'

2:01 p.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

[moreso a literal sense of perspective, as it gave onto several yards and seemed rather high and 'elsewhere-ish']...elsewhere-ish...I like that...the long view is what your photos also have...I have always seen the 'upcloseness' of things, even in landscapes focused on the small details, but now find myself looking to the horizon, for the broad stroke of it, as if to see beyond...to see my own all-too-familiar vista as if for the first time

3:51 p.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

[as if to see beyond...to see my own all-too-familiar vista as if for the first time]

there is something to be said for seeing both 'forest and tree', each as important as the other, and a point of reference for the other

5:24 p.m.  
Blogger name of the rose said...

yes, I guess that's true, like having someone sit on the other end of a teeter tooter, the balance of it
coming from [a point of reference] on the other (end), if that analogy works

[each as important as the other, and a point of reference for the other]

11:57 p.m.  
Blogger in vino veritas [in wine, there is truth] said...

it does

7:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home